Sunday, 13 November 2016

Protein Packed Pancakes




I never eat pancakes. When I say never I cannot even tell you the last time I ordered some for myself or took a bite of someone else's. I used to have an obsession with 'healthy foods' and pancakes was never on my healthy food list - saddening I know. 

I am still inclined to labelling foods as healthy and unhealthy - not a habit I would recommend nor is it a correct indication of how food should be consumed - however, I am getting better at stepping outside of my comfort zone. AKA I finally decided to make some pancakes (cue the percussion and cheers from the crowd). 

I still enjoy eating well so I wasn't going to gorge on a sugar laden and simple carbohydrate filled recipe. Instead I was going to source and make one full of delicious and wholesome ingredients that wouldn't leave my body feeling gluggy and my mind feeling guilty.


Ingredients

  • 100g oats
  • 2 free-range eggs
  • 100g cottage cheese
  •  1 banana 
  • 1 pinch of baking powder
  • 1 splash of your milk of choice (used soy milk)


Toppings

  • Almond butter
  • Honey
  • Chobani yoghurt
  • 4 Fresh figs
  • 1 pear
  • 1 apple
  • 1 handful of pomegranate seeds
  • (I used whatever fresh fruit I had at home which ended up being a pear, apple and blueberries)



Method

  1. Pop all pancake ingredients (excluding oil) into a blender until smooth
  2. If the mixture is too thick just add a little more milk
  3. Prepare all your toppings into small bowls. 
  4. I peeled and grated the pear and apple, then tossed with the blueberries. I then set the toppings aside until ready to plate. 
  5. Heat a frying pan over a medium heat, brush with oil.
  6. Drop heaped tablespoons of the batter into the pan and cook for three minutes, or until little bubbles start to from on the surface. 
  7. Flip and cook the other side until lightly golden and cooked through. Transfer to plate. 
  8. Layer the pancakes up with the fruit and almond butter, drizzle over the honey and spoon on the yoghurt. 
  9. Now eat :D 





No comments:

Post a Comment