Wednesday, 10 August 2016

Morning Glory




I was always that person whose body clock went off at 5a.m. and within minutes I was dressed and ready to attack the day. By 7a.m. I had exercised, eaten breakfast, drunk my morning tea and was ready for whatever the rest of the day had in store for me.

Over the last 7 months my morning enthusiasm has flown out the window. My zest to get up and go has been drowned by warm cuddles, the snooze button being hit on repeat and an ‘I will do it later’ attitude. What have I become? Where has my ‘oh so annoying’ morning persona gone?

Now that I have lost my morning person edge, the concept of trying to get back into the routine of waking up early and seizing the day is incomprehensible, but with summer fast approaching I really need to get my bum into gear.

In order to fit everything into my day – work, the inklings of a social life, exercise, date nights and the occasional alone time – I have to start getting up earlier and making the most of every minute. I have read countless articles on the internet and a million and one tips on how to become a morning person but let’s be honest, some things work other things do not. Here are some tips and tricks that work for me and hopefully will work for you too.

Plan Ahead
Currently, the more sleep I can get the better. I can sleep for an extra five to ten minutes in the morning (trust me it is worth it)if I pack everything I need for the next day the night before. I prep all my food and pop it in a plastic bag so it is quick and easy to grab. I lay my clothes out  - including work wear and my gym ensemble – literally everything and anything that I will need to get me through the day. My carry bag will also be packed for the day ahead so when I wake, all I have to do is get dressed, grab my food and I am out the door. This is a great way to maximize your time first thing in the morning.   

Routine routine routine  
If you didn't catch what I was trying to say with the above subtitle - routine is key. Staying up late and binge watching on the latest season of Peaky Blinders is not going to make it easier to wake up at 5:30am. Your body responds well to patterns. Going to bed at the same time and waking up at the same time every day will make it easier for you body to respond to certain things. Make these patterns a habit, not a matter of willpower. By making it a habit you are taking away the decision making action, and turning it into a process.

The good old snooze button
Don’t hit the snooze button. The night before this sounds like a very easy task but come 5:30am the snooze button is irresistible. The only thing that works for me is moving my phone to the other side of the room so I have to get up.  If I have to get out of bed to turn off my alarm, I am far more likely to actually stay up. In saying that, I have been known to roll over and make the better half get up and turn it off. Whoops - at least I’m trying, right?

Seize the day
I think it is extremely important to acknowledge why you are trying to get up early in the first place. If it is for no reason than why are you forcing yourself to get up?  
If there is a specific reasons you want to start being more of a morning person then get up and do something YOU want to do. If exercising isn’t your thing read a blog, pamper yourself, meditate, and listen to a podcast – whatever it is do something for you.

Trust me, you will feel so much better about yourself when you have had the time to start your morning off right and do something that will benefit you. Whether that is relaxing over a morning coffee and newspaper or getting up and doing a morning salute to the sun – make the most of your time and your life.

XOXO 

No comments:

Post a Comment