Thursday, 5 May 2016

WEAVING



You may have noticed intricate, often colourful woollen wall hangings decorating the interiors of design blogs and home magazines. The textile art of weaving has made resurgence and it is being used to create beautiful pieces of wall art.

I recently attended a course to hone my weaving skills so I too can start creating my own magical, woven masterpieces. For 8 hours I did not leave my chair (that was a little white lie, I did for toilet purposes). I sat all day building my own loom, threading my loom and playing with bright, textured pieces of hand dyed wool. I was engrossed. I think my partner even tried calling me several times and texting me several more, with his final text saying ‘I’m worried, can you just let me know that you are ok?’ Silly man, does he not realise that weaving has now replaced him? As I was sitting there all I wanted to do was finish my current wall hanging, buy some wool and start creating a new one.

I used my hands to thread the wool through the loom, creating knots, carpet textures and braids. I loved that I wasn’t surrounded by technology, that I was getting back in touch with myself, my artistic mind and the use of my hands for creation. It was beautiful to be so captivated by something so natural and calming. I have difficulty meditating for half an hour but sitting and weaving for hours on end put me in a very meditative state.

It was interesting to see the colours, patterns and texture’s each person used to create their wall hanging. More often than not, the colours chosen by each individual to weave with were very similar to the colours they were wearing. It comes back to that theory that we dress and wear colours depending on how we feel that day. I think the same theory can be translated across into art.

I will stop rambling on about my obsession with weaving for now, but keep an eye out for future posts as I will be sharing my creations with you very soon. Here is a sneak peak below. 

XOXO













No comments:

Post a Comment