Monday, 25 May 2015

About a Band: Natalie and the Romance


Sydney based band, Natalie and the Romance, came together in 2013 and have been taking the Sydney soul and jazz scene by storm. The band is made of up lead vocalist Natalie Magee, Kyle Taylor on Double Bass, Oliver Nelson on drums, Callum Gracie on Horns and Felix Lalanne on guitar. 

I was lucky enough to catch up with oh so dazzling and talented Natalie to discuss all things music. Oh and just a quick alert – get excited because Natalie and the Romance have just debuted their new EP so keep your eyes and ears peeled for some amazing new tunes. 






Tell us a little bit about yourself?
I am a singer-songwriter originally from Canberra, now living in Sydney. Lover of India, travel, colours, storytelling and yoga. 

How did the band come together to create Natalie and the Romance?
After I moved to Sydney I did a lot of different gigs with different musicians. While singing with a jazz big band I made friends with Kyle who became the bass player and we later met Oli (drums) and Felix (guitar) through a gig called the Motown Monday Jam. 





How do you define success?
Having a sustainable career in which you have freedom and creativity, where the work you put out into the world has a positive benefit for those who it affects and a minimal impact on the environment. 

What is a typical day in the life of..?
In the mornings there is Tea, and housemate banter. Then I either teach music students or write and rehearse my own music and then in the evening I either do a yoga class or I do a gig. Gigs are ideally my original music gigs, but I also do solo piano performances at hotels, feature performances for events, sing at weddings, you name it! 


Are there certain sounds or qualities you’ve always wanted to capture/record but haven’t been able to yet?
I would love to write a segment of music with a really modern, electronic sound. But I am always drawn to storytelling and traditional acoustic instruments. 









What influences your music?
All the people I meet and places I travel. Every song has it's story. 


Sunder Nagar is an amazing track on your new EP. It is a very unique and different sound from you, what influenced this song? 
When I flew to India for the first time I looked out the window of the plane and saw the peaks of a mountain range, with low clouds dancing around them, and the most brilliant sunset. I said out loud, 'it's like dreaming in ten thousand colours!' and the first line of the song was born! It is a love song to India. 






What albums do you wish you had recorded?
The Sound of White by Missy Higgins
Songs in the Key of Life by Stevie Wonder 
Frank by Amy Winehouse 


How did you get started in the music industry?
My Uncle is a pianist and an entertainment booking and events agent in Canberra. When I showed my interest in music he mentored me a great deal and taught me so much. I started doing little gigs here and there in Canberra when I was in the eleventh grade at school. Another singer, Alison Avron, who now runs The Newsagency in Sydney, noticed my efforts and when she moved to Sydney she gave me her regular weekly gig at the Dendy Lounge. I did that gig for five years and a lot of my opportunities stemmed from that.

What would your main piece of advice be for other aspiring bands?
It will be a roller coaster - be prepared for that. Be prepared to work harder than you ever imagined and if you really want it, don't give up.




What can we hope to see from you in 2015?                
I have just released my new EP 'The Sequel' and I will be following this up with lots of gigs, radio promo and releasing new video clips throughout the year.

Last but not least here are some quick fire questions to get to know Natalie a bit more :) 
Favourite food – Fresh paper spring rolls 
Favourite drink – Tea. Or Sailor Jerry's 
Favourite musician/band – ummmmmmmm... let's just go with Jazz haha. 
Coffee or tea – TEA! :) 






I would highly recommend checking this talented band out, to find out a bit more about them click here or go on their bands Facebook and Instagram pages.

* Please note all images are sourced from Natalie and the Romance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment