I love food! Not just eating it, but cooking it too.
However, this self confessed foodie is all about everything sweet and delicious - I looovvve to bake! So on this long weekend I decided to make my roommates a gluten-free Carrot Cake. Don't tell them but I did lick the spoon hehe, enjoy
5 eggs, separated
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1 ¼ cups caster sugar
2 cups finely grated carrot
2 cups of almond meal
½ cup gluten free self raising flour
Cream cheese frosting
110g packaged cream cheese, softened
80g butter, softened
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1. Preheat over to moderate (180/160C) fan-forced.
2. beat egg yolks, rind and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until thick and creamy; transfer to large bowl. Stir in carrot, almond meal and sifted flour
3. Beat egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form; fold into carrot mixture in two batches
4. Pour mixture into pan; back for a minimum of 45 minutes. Stand cake 5 minutes in wire rack to cool.
5. Meanwhile make cream cheese frosting
6. Spread cold cake with cream cheese frosting; sprinkle with slivered almonds
Cream cheese frosting - beat cream cheese and butter in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy; gradually beat in icing sugar and juice.
Pretty much wife material. I may need to do a workout now though because this was all that was left of the cake less than an hour later. Whoops.