Thursday, 2 August 2012

Love/Hate


I don’t think I ever really understood what people meant when they said that love is one of the hardest things to get over. Hadn’t these people heard of the saying ‘there is plenty of fish in the sea? Move on ladies and gentleman, start a fresh - they probably weren’t ever worth it in the first place.

Let’s fast forward five years.

I, to my bitter disappointment now understood what everyone was saying and worse yet I had become one of those people I hated. My partner of a few years and I had split. If you are trying to picture me, picture Bridget Jones sitting on her living room floor sobbing, blaring Celine Dion’s All by myself and eating my body weight in chocolate. Yes, I am starting to look more pathetic by the minute and trust me this scenario didn’t get much better for quite a while. However, eventually the music was turned off, the chocolate was put back into the cupboard and the bawling stopped. I’m not sure what my realisation was – maybe I realised that the guy was a bit of a dick (under exaggeration) or the fact that no matter how upset you are, no amount of embarrassing wailing was going to get them back.

I think I now understand why people find it so hard to move on. With each person you meet, whether they are a mere acquaintance, a partner or a friend, every person leaves a mark. A place, a moment or a smell can bring back a flood of memories. I think its misleading for people to say that love is hard to get over. I believe that it’s not about erasing those memories, starting a fresh or forgetting that person completely, it’s about coping with the outcome and moving forward. Each memory and person leaves a mark, be it good or bad. Cherish each moment and learn from it. 
























No comments:

Post a Comment